The Internet has become part of our everyday lives and is now easier to access than ever before, but using the Internet can also have risks.
Children and young people are more at risk of exposure to inappropriate or criminal behaviour if they are unaware of the dangers.
These dangers can include:
- viewing unsuitable content e.g. hate material, adult content, sites that endorse unhealthy behaviour
- giving out personal information
- arranging to meet an online ‘friend’
- becoming involved in, or the victim of, bullying, identity theft, or making and sending indecent or illegal images
- spending too much time online which can effect concentration, education, sleep and health
- copying information from the Internet or buying work from other people to use as their own.
Training sessions highlighting the dangers of the internet have been given to staff and parents and pupils are made aware on a regular basis via school assemblies and via the curriculum.